15″ x 13.5″ x 13.5″
Born in 1941 in Tacoma, Washington, Dale Chihuly was introduced to glass while studying interior design at the University of Washington. After graduating in 1965, Dale enrolled in the first glass program in the country, at the University of Wisconsin. He continued his studies at the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), where he later established the glass program and taught for more than a decade.
In 1968, after receiving a Fulbright Fellowship, he went to work at the Venini glass factory in Venice. There he observed the team approach to blowing glass, which is critical to the way he works today. In 1971, Dale cofounded Pilchuck Glass School in Washington State. With this international glass center, he has led the avant-garde in the development of glass as a fine art.
Dale’s work is included in more than 200 museum collections worldwide. He has been the recipient of many awards, including twelve honorary doctorates and two fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Over the years, Dale has developed a host of innovative techniques to achieve his artistic vision. He is keen to experiment and unafraid of failure. Whether attempting to make “Macchia” up to four feet in diameter, or stretching the limits of glass for his “Rotolo” series, experimentation is an essential part of Dale’s creative process.
Dale’s piece “Macchia Pair” (produced in 1987) will be featured in Art for Life on September 15. This piece is signed and was produced in 1987. See more of his work at https://www.chihuly.com/.
This piece is generously donated by Scott Owens & Kevin Kowalski.